Monday, May 21, 2007

Triathlon - Why not?

I am happy with the results of my major events so far this year. I already have beaten my updated goal of 45 minutes for my 10K, scoring 44:53. In the same race I have got my PB in 5K - 21 minutes for the first half of the race. My next category "A" activity, Niagara Falls Half Marathon is planned for the end of October. I will start targeted training in early August. I will try to improve my 5K result, maybe to run it in less then 20 minutes this year, when I will test my training progress during the Waterfront Trail on 15 of September.
My plan for now was to build and maintain a good aerobic base. But there is more.

I want to try triathlon also. It isn't just something completely out of the blue. I have build a solid running base. I run more then 1200 km since the October of last year. I rode 3075 km last year, and 670 km on stationary bike and 250 km outside so far this year.
Here is my running and cycling summary for this year:



Years ago swimming was my strong point. I haven't done a lot of swimming lately as my log shows:


Swimming isn't my strong discipline at this moment as I have learned when I went to the pool a few days ago. I discovered that I don't have endurance in the water at all. For triathlon I will have to work hard to improve my crawl technique. I know that swimming will be my weakest point, but I already started to work to make it better. I am planning to swim at least twice a week for the five weeks left to the race.

There were two races I was considering:
# Try-A-Triathlon - Swim 375m, Bike 10km, Run 2.5km
# Sprint Triathlon - Swim 750m, Bike 19km, Run 5km

Based on advice from my friends at runningmania.com I registered for the Sprint Triathlon.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home