Saturday, March 10, 2007

Running while sick

Regular, moderate training could boost immune system function. My immune system was strong in January when Beata and Robert where fighting viral infection and in February when many people from my work had suffered. I have accredited my running for the fact that I was virus free at that time.


Vigorous exercise such as a long or tempo run temporarily suppresses the immune system up to 24 hours after exercise. And this is what had happened to me before my race.

I had my planned a long training run of 15 km on Wednesday, 10 days before my 5K race. I knew on the next day that I have some kind of infection, but it didn't stop me from running. I went for a 4 km easy run, after the run I went to the sauna. In the past I did try to use the sauna to prevent infection - it had worked in the past, but not this time.

I had moved my Saturday training to Sunday, hoping that I would give my body enough rest. I had run 7 km of the planned 11 km. I still was sick. My important weekend training didn't go too well. I have decided to boost my Monday workout a little bit. I knew I wasn't feeling well enough to increase the distance so I have decided to make this run more intense. It wasn't a great idea. I felt quite well during my workouts, I could breath easier, cough was suppressed, but a few hours later I had a sinus headache, runny nose, chest congestion, cough..., you name it. And you thought training was only good for you.

I knew that my body needs rest so it can concentrate its resources on fighting the illness, but my desire to do well doing the race was stronger. So instead of the planned easy week before the race I wanted to make up for the low quality training of previous days. I went strong on Tuesday - 4km, Wednesday - 10 km hills and speed workout, Thursday - 4 km easy and Friday - 6 km hard tempo workout. I was really sick at this point. What is the point at which you should rest and not train? As a novice runner I wasn't sure if I should run on Saturday before the race or should I rest completely. Because my cough was strong I had decided to not run on Saturday.
I woke up early on Sunday. I couldn't sleep too well because of my cough. I took a generous portion of anti-cough medicine. I was ready for the race.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home