Saturday, March 10, 2007

My first 5K race

I couldn't sleep well the night before the race. I am not sure if it was excitement before the first race or sickness as I was still fighting the virus infection.

I woke up at 6 a.m, had a good warm up and a solid breakfast. I have read somewhere that early morning runs are usually slower than later during the day. The body is not fully awaken yet. So a good warm-up is very important before morning races. I wanted to eat my breakfast more than 2 hours before the race. In my training I didn't eat before my morning runs to teach my body to use fat as a fuel. Now I wanted my body to use the fuel stored in my blood which is more easily accessible. I didn't want to have my breakfast too late to avoid stomach problems when someone runs to early after a meal and the food is not well processed yet.

It was -5°C outside. The race will start at 8:50 a.m. It should be around -2°C at that time. Temperature wasn't going to be a factor. I had run at -11°C, with -26°C wind-chill index this winter.
I had decided how to dress. I made a last minute decision to get my iPod against the race organizers advice. I was running throughout the whole winter with music, it was fun, I couldn't imagine running +1 hour sessions on the treadmill without the iPod. I want to make this race a pleasurable event. It isn't just music, I have my Nike chip attached. For the last last five hundred meters of the 5k race the iPod gives me verbal information every 100 meters. I was increasing my speed at this time during my training runs to learn to finish strong. I count that it will help me during the race.

Start line - crowded. I don't know where I belong in the crowd. I am running on site to warm up. I am surprised that not to many people do so. Don't they need it? Will they feel too tired when they add extra 1-2 km before the race? Such a thought boosts my confidence - I had had a few long runs before this race in the past( 19 km, 15km ). I still don't know where should I be. I don't want to upset 'proffesionals' if I stay at front and will be passed on by too many racers. I don't want to be to far behind because I have set my goal of 22 minutes, and I would like to arrive around that time to the finish line. Yes, I know that there is time chip attached to my leg. I have never run with one before.

It started. I am feeling well. I was able to be in a good starting position. I passed more people than I was passed by. Now I wonder if the pace isn't to fast for me. Quick check of my Garmin GPS - 14 km/h (4:16km/min) - I was running that fast only for a short 500-1000 meters during the training. Can I hold it for the whole race? Moment of panic - I forgot to turn on my iPod. Garmin is far more important during the race for me, but I was counting on the iPod for my final 500 meters. I am still feeling that I could run faster, holding on, I don't want to burn out to early.

Somewhere between 1.8km and 2.6km I have passed 2 pairs of teenagers, 11-14 years olds, as I have learned reviewing results later. Great feeling - I am able to outrun kids.


Between 2.6km and 3.2km the road goes downhill, I wasn't prepared to deal with it. I was training outside on a flat course. My hill training was on a treadmill - which doesn't have downhill option. I am trying to hold my pace, but it feels easier. I was passed by two runners. Should I race or stick to my pace? My pace is still fast. I didn't run so fast for so long during my training - I have decided to hold on - there is 2 more kilometers of unknown in front.

I feel tired around the end of 4th kilometer, my speed is slightly lower, but it is downhill again at the beginning of 5 km, feels easier but not easy to increase the speed, then the speed is again at a normal level, and I have to slow down near the 4.6 km point on small uphill.

My iPod should be kicking in with final 500 meters info, I turn it on too late during the race. I can see the finish line. I can hear somebody behind me accelerating, I am able to hold on. Finishing. Not very tired. If he attacked me earlier I could cut a few seconds of my time.

My time 22:19, chip time 22:16. I am happy.

I want to run again. I am 4th in my age category. If I could cut 1 minute of my time I would have won my age category. I wonder how much faster would I run if I wasn't sick, what would have happen if I wasn't holding back for the first 2 kilometers. I want to race again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home